Wednesday, 4 April 2012

W.I.P. Wednesday - 4th April

Sheryl Browne is sharing her latest WIP with us today

Sheryl and Snoops
Photos courtesy of the author




Hi, Carol.  Thank you so much for inviting me onto you blog to share a little about my upcoming project.  Or should I say projects(s)!  Thanks to wonderfully supportive Safkhet Publishing, who loved my writing style enough to launch a whole new imprint, I now have three romantic comedies on the horizon. A three-book contract, no less!  I’m quite excited.  I lie.  I’m totally ecstatic!! 

All three books are being released within the next eighteen months under Safkhet’s new imprint Safkhet Soul, to be published in both in print and on Kindle.  (For information, Safkhet will soon accept submissions for this new imprint,up to four titles are planned for publication per year).  I really am thrilled to bits, not least because it allows me to get back in touch with my characters.  Yes, I am one of the few authors, it seems, who quite likes the editing stage.  I suppose, having masochistically submitted various books over the years, ergo suffered the odd rejection (ahem), I’d much rather be engaging with my characters than laying them to rest (which probably sounds a bit dramatic, but that’s truly how it feels to be consigning your sweated over manuscript to the dark depths of a dusty drawer).

The first book off the press – release date to be confirmed – will be Somebody to Love and I don’t mind admitting I actually fill up knowing that this book will finally be out thereThis one, you see, did attract to the attention of an agent and apparently did well at the Frankfurt Book Fair.  Sadly, it never did find a home with a UK publisher.  It hurt at the time naturally, particularly as feedback was generally favourable, but, if I’m honest, it needed a little more work – and a lot more oomph – to be in with a chance in today’s tough publishing climate.

Somebody to Love therefore underwent a complete rewrite before I re-submitted.  Obviously, the path along the way being somewhat painful (but a learning curve nevertheless), I was over the moon when Kim Sutton, editor at Safkhet Publishing, came back and said she loved it.  It is a book close to my heart.  Of course it is.  But then, all authors pour themselves mind, body and soul into their writing.  It can be can be emotionally and physically draining sometimes, especially juggling life’s other demands, which is why it is so hard to let go. 

I am now at the final editing stage, which largely consists of the main character, Findus the Bunny, needing the odd tweak her and there.  Oh, all right, Findus isn’t really the main character, but looking at the cover, you have to admit, as characters go, he’s enormously appealing. 



As I may have mentioned in other interviews, my aim when I write is to leave someone with that all-important feel-good factor.  If someone laughs, it makes me feel good, and it’s a fabulous way to measure whether I’ve succeeded.   I base my characters loosely around people I’ve known/know who have real life challenges or tragedy to live with, adapt to, or overcome, and so the story grows. 
Simply, in Somebody to Love, my male protagonist, a single father, is desperate for love.  He doesn’t hold out much hope, however, that there is a woman out there with a heart big enough to love him and his autistic son.  Enter Donna, single mum to one son, one three-legged dog - and one eccentric house-bunny called Findus…

What my books all have in common, I hope (!), is a generous dollop of humour and, yes, I admit it, a fair sprinkling of quirky animals.  People who love animals generally do tend to have big hearts.  






Another one of the stars of Somebody to love : Sadie, a three-legged and totally adorable Pets as Therapy (PAT) dog.


















So, it’s all go!  I’ll be posting updates on my blog along the way.  Please feel free to browse my website at www.sherylbrowne.com or find out more about me and my fellow authors at www.loveahappyending.com(Showcased Authors and Associate Readers from around the world, everything from chick lit to WWII memoirs & stories).

27 comments:

  1. Sounds fantastic, Sheryl. How wonderful to be able to give your books and their characters a new lease of life. I know that feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I do love my animal characters. Thank you, Carol, for showcasing my WIP so beautifully! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true, Gilli. That is spot on. You characters do become living, breathing people. I truly believe most authors feel a little bereft when they have to lay them to rest, so to speak. Good luck with your own projects! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like things are just really coming along for you and your writing. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thnanks to Safkhet Publishing, Stephanie. Isn't it amazing what you can do when someone believes in you? :) Thanks so much for stopping by. We're all busy bees so much appreciated. x

      Delete
  5. Well, I know you can't do a 'happy dance' at the moment because your foot is elevated, so I'm doing it for you! You have a lot to celebrate and it's lovely to see you here with Dizzy C (I'm a bit of a fan ...). Great post ladies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linn! I must say, all this sitting around is not what it's cracked up to be. Have resisted Easter egg brought in by partner, you'll be amazed to know - for the moment! :) Pssst, I'm a bit of a fan, too, but don't tell Carol. She'll be blushing all over the place x

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness me that is the cutest book cover ever Sheryl! I absolutely adore bunnies so that is going to be a must read for me! Lovely to hear about your work. Thanks for sharing it Sheryl and Carol.
    Lindsay x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Lindsay. Have you seen the expression on his little face! How could anyone resist? Thank you! :) x

      Delete
  7. Kit Domino says: Oh my, your books sold to me already. If that ain't the cutest cover yet, I don't know what is. I'm a bunny nutter. Great post, thanks ladies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haw, haw! Better wait until it's published, Kit! Thank you! :) x

      Delete
  8. I'm so excited for you, Sheryl! Such wonderful news and your book looks so appealing. I, too, am a major animal fan. Enjoy the success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bonnie! I absolutely will. Love my babies (books & animals), have to admit it. :) x

      Delete
  9. Can't wait to read this one! Sounds brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely, smiley Mandy! :) x

      Delete
  10. Thanks for an interesting WIP Wednesday. Somebody To Love sounds like a great story, I have to admit I think Findus is adorable and I'm totally intrigued to read that one of the characters is autistic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Findus is, totally! These are real models, btw. The female model ;) is quite gorgeous, too, though also modest. Love her! x

      Delete
    2. Findus is, totally! These are real models, btw. The female model is also totally gorgeous, too, though modest. Bless. Love her. :) x

      Delete
  11. That's great news Sheryl about Somebody to Love. What a cute bunny!
    Congratulations and thanks for sharing with us.
    Sue x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue! Do you reckon Findus is going to want a cut of my millions? Haw, haw! :) x

      Delete
  12. What a fantastic book cover! Great post, very interesting to hear about your publishing success and huge congratulations. Looking forward to seeing your books out there.

    CJ x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Crystal! It's been an up and down journey (as most writers would appreciate), but am thrilled to bits! :) x

      Delete
  13. Your humour comes through in this post Sheryl. That word, ecstatic! A great way for you to feel and totally deserved. You're an inspiration x

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know I'm a big fan of yours and can't wait to read the next book, whooop whooop! What an adorable cover. Good for you that you enjoy the editing stage, I think that's wonderful. Rock on, and thanks for a lovely post both to you, and to Carol for hosting. You rock, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm SO excited about your new books and your contract with your lovely publisher - and I love the new bunny cover too. It's so original and clever - oh, and cute!
    Congratulations Sheryl. xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you all for your comments. WIP Weds certainly is a conversation piece.

    Thank you Sheryl for taking part.

    Authors, when you are ready to share your WIP, please contact me to take part in the feature.

    carol

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a good one to remember Sheryl. Don't we all need a good laugh. I was at a book signing the other day and I asked people what they usually read....horror...murder......fantasy fiction mainly. How refreshing to look forward to a bit of humour. Wouldn't the world be a better place:-)
    Diana

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment. I do love to read your thoughts.